How to Implement Google AdWords Message Extension
Make the most of AdWords message extension with Textlocal Long codes and Keywords
Google has recently launched a new ad extension called ‘Message extension’ for Google AdWords. It allows advertisers to add an SMS call to action for search ads on mobile devices.
When user clicks on the ad extension in a mobile ad, their text message app is opened with a pre-written message along with a pre-defined mobile number. The user can send the message to show interest in your product/service or request for more information. This exciting new development unlocks an entirely new set of customers who prefer to use SMS to communicate with businesses.
Why should you prefer Textlocal long code to your personal mobile number?
While you can receive messages to your personal mobile number, it is practically not possible to attend to all incoming messages. At some point, you need to automate this process and give customers the information they need instantly. You can do much more with all the incoming messages using Textlocal’s unique & useful features-
- Get your own dedicated number to receive SMS – Any texts sent to a dedicated long number are received in your inbox which can be accessed online
- Send instant auto-replies to messages – Instantly send automatic replies to customers texting into your inbox with more information about your product/service
- Add links and attachments to your replies – Easily attach images, brochures, pdfs or any other files in your SMS replies
- Auto-forward messages – Forward messages to your email, URL, application or mobile number(s)
- Store & manage all customer mobile numbers online – Textlocal provides an inbox for each keyword that stores & export all your contact numbers
- Send messages with your own sender name – Get a 6-character alphabetic Sender ID of your choice to enhance your brand awareness (Eg- AM-AMAZON)
- Track Conversions Online – Google can not track conversions via message extension. With advanced tracking (device parameters, screen sizes, etc), delivery reports and click reports (for each mobile number), get all the analytics you need with Textlocal.
Text ‘START’ to 9246022266 for a quick live demo.
Follow these simple steps to implement message extension
1. Purchase a dedicated long number online
Message extensions require a dedicated 10-digit long number that can receive and process text messages. You can purchase a dedicated number online via Textlocal.
Login to your Textlocal account > click on ‘Receive’ > click on ‘Create Inbox‘ > Dedicated Number
Select a mobile number of your choice from a list of numbers and buy the number. You will get access to your dedicated long code immediately after the payment is done.
2. Setup auto-responses
From Textlocal control panel, click on Receive to access your inbox settings.
Under Response Functions, tick the option to: “Send an auto-response to each incoming message”. You can select your Sender Name and write your message. You can also insert an attachment, short link, survey or a mobile web page to convey more within 160 characters.
Create keywords for your Long code
You can create unlimited keywords under your Dedicated Long Number. Click on ‘New Keyword’ and create a keyword of your choice. Textlocal system directs all the messages starting with the keyword to its own inbox. Setup auto-response by navigating to Settings under a keyword or the dedicated number.
Important Note: Long numbers are capable of receiving messages, but it is not possible to send messages via the same long number. The messages will go with a Sender Name (6 digit for promotional route or 6 alpha-character for transactional route)
You will have to include your long number in the message and ask users to reply to your long number to continue the conversation. (Ex: To learn more about our service text NEXT to 9246022266)
3. Configure additional settings
You can configure these useful settings to manage your incoming messages-
- Schedule your reply by specifying a delay ranging from 1 minute to 4 weeks
- Send email to email address contained within message
- Use ‘Add sender to a group list’ to add all the mobile numbers with the keyword to any group
- Forward incoming messages to an email address(es)
- Forward incoming messages to a URL so that API/any other software can pick it up
- Forward incoming messages to a mobile phone
- Forward a text message from a number to a contact group that you had created
4. Add credits to your account
In order to use an inbox auto-response, you need to make sure that you have enough SMS credits in your account. You use one credit for each auto-response under 160 characters that’s sent. Purchase more credits online by clicking on the Buy button when you’re logged into your account.
5. Test auto-responses
Send a message to your long number and check if you’ve received the message in your number’s dedicated inbox:
Click on ‘Receive‘ > Click on your long number > Click on ‘View Inbox’
If you have set-up keywords on your dedicated number, you can test them and verify if you have received them in respective keyword inboxes.
6. Add long number to your AdWords account
Log-in to your AdWords account and click on ‘Ad extensions’ and select ‘Message extensions‘ under ‘View:’ drop down
Create a new message extension by clicking on click on ‘+ EXTENSION‘ and select the Campaign or Ad group you would like to create the extension for. Click on ‘+ New message extension‘ to create a new message extension.
Complete the fields for the creating the new extension, adding your Textlocal long number in the “Text phone number” field. You need to select the region as ‘India’ and ensure that the number is correctly formatted (10 digits without spaces or special characters).
Text ‘START’ to 9246022266 for a quick live demo.
Trusted By Over 225,000 Businesses
The team is very much supportive and managed all our projects effectively. They were very responsive and worked fast to touch our target. We hope that you will continue to favour us with your extended support.
Their API service works perfectly. Their customer support picks up the phone and responds to our queries within less than 5 minutes *every single time* and the user interface of the product is simple and once again, just works.
Our experience with Textlocal's E-mail to SMS Gateway service has been very positive - all the way from evaluating the service (received very nice technical sales support to address our key requirements) to adoption (very simple & quick processes + very responsive team that helped us get started quickly) & usage- the service itself has been very reliable so far!!
Easy to use and the SMS campaigns are done swiftly. Batch Scheduling on a specific time has been functioning superbly. Tracking of messages provide a great support to us in analyzing the outcomes.Overall a great experience !
Try us. You will love the Textlocal experience.
Best-in-class SMS Delivery
Get unmatched delivery rates and speeds with our direct telecom operator connectivity and intelligent bulk SMS gateway.
10 test credits on activating your account. Only for business use. No credit card required.